Poker for Pleasure
You'll need a standard 52 card deck and some poker chips. If you don’t have chips, substitute coins and just treat every coin as one chip. You should both start with 60 chips, which is one hour of time. There are two games you can play, a cash game where either player can stop whenever he/she wants, or a tournament which is winner-take-all and played until one person has all the chips. Re-buys are allowed, which means that if you lose your chips you can take another 60 from the bank. It also means you might owe 60 more minutes.
Texas hold'em is a community card game with four betting rounds. The game is played with a standard 52-card deck and regular poker hand ranks apply. In case you’re wondering, they are:
- Straight flush (the best straight flush hand: A-K-Q-J-T, all of the same suit)
- Four-of-a-kind (the best four-of-a-kind hand: A-A-A-A-K)
- Full house (the best full house hand: A-A-A-K-K)
- Flush (all cards of the same suit, the best flush hand: any Ace-high flush)
- Straight (the best straight hand: A-K-Q-J-T)
- Three-of-a-kind (the best three-of-a-kind hand: A-A-A-K-Q)
- Two-pair (the best two-pair hand: A-A-K-K-Q)
- One-pair (the best one-pair hand: A-A-K-Q-J)
- No-pair (the best high hand: A-K-Q-J-9)
How to Play
- One player acts as dealer. This position is called the button and it rotates clockwise after every hand.
- In a two player game (or heads up) the dealer is the big blind and the other person is the small blind. For this game the small blind will be 1 chip and the big blind 2 chips. Generally in tournament poker this goes up every set period of time, ie after 15 minutes it’s 2-4, 30 minutes it’s 3-6, etc. Don’t worry about raising the blinds for cash games.
- Cards are dealt clockwise beginning with the player after the dealer. Every player receives one card face down and then a second card face down. These are hole cards.
- The first betting round begins with the player sitting immediately to the left of the big blind, and continues clockwise. The small blind must at least call the amount in the big blind to stay in the hand.
- When the first betting round is completed, three community cards are flipped face up on the table. This is called the flop.
- The second round of betting begins with the first remaining player seated to the left of the button. The betting resumes, clockwise.
- When the second round of betting is finished, a fourth community card is flipped face up on the table. This is called the turn.
- The third round of betting commences with the first remaining player sitting to the left of the button. The betting moves clockwise, with the bets doubling on the turn.
- When the third round of betting is over, a fifth community card is flipped face up on the table. This is called the river.
- The fourth round of betting starts with the first remaining player seated to the left of the button. The betting continues to move clockwise.
- After all raises have been called, the players combine their hole cards with the community cards to make the best possible 5-card poker hand. It is possible to use both hole cards, one hole card or no hole card (play the board), in an effort to make a hand. If you both use all community cards or have the same hands, then it's a tie and you split the pot. Suits don’t break ties in poker.
Copyright © 2009-2012 LivLuv. All Rights Reserved.
TOP DATE IDEAS
You'll NeedDeck of cards
Poker chips or coins
LinksYahoo Hold 'Em Poker - great for practice
HAVE A BUTTON!Like our stuff? Feel free to add our button to your blog or site and share us around.